In this day and age, we are bombarded with images of celebrities with beautiful smiles. Once the teeth and gums are healthy, one of the next steps to create a beautiful smile is to examine the colour of one’s teeth and look towards improving their appearance.
It is one of the most commonly raised concerns by patients in our Rosanna dental practice.
Why are my teeth so discoloured?
These are some of the reasons why your teeth may not be as white as you’d like them to be:
- Chromogenic foods: foods like curries, berries, pasta sauce have intense colour, and the colour molecules can adhere to your teeth
- Beverages: tea, coffee, red wine, coloured soft drinks
- Poor brushing
- Fluorosis: excessive consumption of fluoride can lead to white opaque discolouration, or even pitting and/or brown discolouration.
- Antibiotics: some antibiotics, like tetracycline can cause a banding of discolouration on the teeth if they were taken by children when their adult teeth were forming
- Dental decay
- Trauma: teeth which have been knocked can change colour, ranging from darker yellow to grey/brown
What is the solution for discoloured teeth?
The best way to improve the colour of your teeth will require a careful assessment by our dentists in Rosanna to determine the contributing factors of the discolouration. Then, an individualised approach will be taken to create a treatment plan customised for your situation.
Treatment may include
- A scale and clean
- Tooth whitening through bleaching (internal or external)
- Dietary counselling
- Polishing old fillings
- Treatment of tooth decay
- Replacement of discoloured fillings
How does tooth whitening work?
At Greville Rd Medical & Dental, we offer a take home bleach system. Custom made upper & lower bleach trays are constructed after taking moulds of your teeth. You then take your box of bleach tubes home and use the bleach in your custom trays for 30-45mins each night. It’s a really easy and comfortable way of whitening your teeth.
For first time users, patients will generally bleach for 2-3 weeks, every day. Usually you will notice a difference within just a few days!
What about in-chair bleaching?
Zoom Whitening or similar in chair teeth whitening procedures work by applying a high concentration of bleach onto the teeth and using a light or laser to activate the bleach.
At Greville Rd Medical & Dental, we’ve chosen not to offer this as there are more side effects with this type of bleaching, and the end result is similar to that of take home bleaching. You have a lot more control with a take home bleaching system, such that if you start to experience any side effects, you can always bleach every second/third night, or give your teeth a rest for awhile – it’s completely up to you!
Our patients also like our take home bleaching system because they can get refill bleach, and right before a special occasion, they may bleach for a couple of days prior just to brighten up their smile.
What are the side effects of bleaching?
Sensitivity to cold is the main reported side effect, but that will usually stop as soon as you stop the bleaching process.
So if you’re unhappy with the colour of your teeth, the next step is to book a full examination with your dentist to determine what will be the best way to improve your smile. Here at Greville Rd Medical & Dental, we strive for beautiful and healthy smiles.